Lat/Long 51 12 30N/01 36 00W.
5 miles west of Andover.
Grid ref SU 280457.
320 feet ASL.
USAAF Station No.407
1944 RT callsign "Bunkbed" HF/DF Y7X
RUNWAYS--1941:Concrete 25?07 1560yds :13/31 1150yds:02/20 1000yds.
RUNWAYS--2002:Grass:26/08 920x50m:13/31 860x50m:02/20 722x50m.
RUNWAYS--2007:Grass:25/07 770x23m:13/31 750x31m.
The airfield opened in 1940 for use by the RAF,who stayed for 6 years..Towards the end of the war ,large numbers of Horsa gliders were stored in the open on the airfield.Most of these were broken up in late 1945.In 1946 the airfield was found to be surplus to requirements and was abandoned.Thus the military phase of it's history was over.
In 1947 the field was leased by the Wiltshire School of Flying.Over the next few years their training fleet was joined at Thruxton by substantial numbers of light aircraft.In the late 50s the Wiltshire School of Flying (as Jackaroo Aircraft Ltd) converted 18 Tiger Moths into "Thruxton Jackaroos",this work finishing by 1960.Plans to build the "Thruxton Paragon" were announced.Two versions were planned, the ES3/145 two seater ,and the ES3/175 four seater.However ,these plans were eventually dropped.During the 60s the perimeter track was turned into a motor racing circuit which is still in use today.In the 90s Heliwork started importing and assembling Robinson helicopters.General aviation continues to be very active at Thruxton with 30-40 light aircraft based here.Visit the Thruxton Airfield Website.